Friday, August 8, 2014

Foodie Friday: Work Food

I work for a call center, on 12 hour shifts.  The work isn't bad, but I am sitting for 12 hours, with 2- 10 min breaks and 2- 15 min breaks, so meals and snacks are eaten all in front of my computer.  That can be hard, and if I'm not careful, I'll eat more that I  normal would if I was sitting at a table.  So what do you do?  You do the old fashioned packing of the lunch.

I purchased a 3-pack of snack containers (for snacks and breakfasts) and a 3-pack of long entree containers.  All together they were about $7 (with tax).  I plan on getting a few more of each to help do other packing.

So, lets work on breakfast.





My breakfast for work is generally pretty simple.  I do a packet of instant grits, a hard boiled egg, and a Laughing Cow cheese wedge in Queso Fresco & Chipotle.  When I finally make the grits, it will be with water for about 1 minute in the microwave.  It is simple, filling, and pretty yummy.



Total WW PP: 5 PP





Snacks:


I pack enough snacks for 2 snacks.  I packed 2 cheese sticks, a pack of Vanilla Roast Almonds, and a Big Slice Pure Kettle Cooked Apples (think applesauce, but better).
My first snack is 1 cheese stick & nuts
My second snack is 1 cheese stick & apples

First Snack WW PP: 4 PP
Second Snack:  WW PP: 3 PP


Lunch:


So this week, I'm working only 3 days.  So what I am doing is prepping 3 days worth of lunches.  They are a bit more indepth than the breakfast and snacks, but they are so worth it!

What you will need:  





  • 1 cup of Sugar Snap Peas
  • 1 cup of Summer Squash
  • 1 cup of Carrots
  • 2 medium Onions
  • 1- 10.5 oz potato
  • 8 oz chicken breast
  • 7 oz chicken gizzards (don't knock it till you tried it)
  • 1 Garlic Clove or 2 tsp of Garlic paste
  • Olive Oil Spray (I use Pam, but any kind will do)
  • 1 pack of Idahoan Smashed Potatoes (instant)

All of this is enough to make 4 meals (I had the 4 serving for lunch).


To make the Summer Veggie Mix:
Spray the pan for 2 seconds with the olive oil spray.  Put the sliced onions and garlic in.  Cook until onions begin to soften (you might need to add a bit of water to make sure that it doesn't scorch or stick).  Add  the carrots.  Cook until carrots begin to soften (about 5 min).  Add the snap peas & squash.  Cook with lid on for about 10 minutes, stir occasionally.  Then remove lid and cook for another 10 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated.
 And this is the end result:

Doesn't it look yummy.  You get about 3.5 cups of this mix.

The chicken breast I cut up into chunks and separated it out into 2 servings of 4 oz.  You can season it how ever you want.  What I did was I used Cajun seasoning to help give it a nice bite.

The gizzards were a 4 oz serving for work and 3 oz serving for lunch at home.

I did prep some roasted potatoes.  The prep is pretty easy.  Cut up the potato into chunks.  Spray for 2 seconds on the pan, to ensure they don't stick. Then place potatoes into the pan, and spray them for 3 second with olive oil.  Next, I used about 2 Tbsp of Mrs. Dash seasoning (you pick what you want), and just sprinkled it onto the potatoes.  I cooked them for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

Finished Product:  
lunch at home (the leftovers from prepping work meals)
 With all these bowls, I just pack them up into a old plastic bag to carry them to work.  The only thing I didn't account for is my daily does of caffeine, which is 8 oz of sweet tea for 2 PP.



Doesn't it all look good?  The Gizzard Bowl is 9 PP , and the Chicken Breast Bowl is 9 PP each.  If you don't like gizzards, just switch it out for another meat that is low in PP.  

All together, I will use about 24 PP, with 18 PP left for dinner.  

So, see you next Friday for another Foodie Friday.

So here is to loosing it... Slowly, but surely! Cana Elene

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for you comment.